Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Unprotected Anal Sex Then Protected With Bleeding?

Jul 8, 2018

Hi Damon,

Recently I met up with a guy for sex, we had condoms and were prepared to use them.

After receiving oral sex and being in the moment, my penis went into his rectum for around 2-4 minutes before I pulled out washed off my penis and began to using a condom.

Whilst using the condom for around 10-30 I noticed blood. No blood was seen when the condom was not first used but it was still a concerning site.

He assured me he was negative and showed me test from January. My main concern is that he could of picked up HIV within this time period and I could have been exposed to HIV.

I just wanted to know how high of a risk do you think I am at?

Response from Mr. Jacobs

Hi there,

Based on the events you described it seems to be you are at little to no risk of acquiring HIV from this encounter. Here's why:

(1) Although you report being inside him for 2-4 minutes, the risks of acquiring HIV as the top are still significantly low, less than 1% (https://www.poz.com/article/HIV-risk-25382-5829).

(2) The blood didn't appear until 10-30 minutes after fucking. Blood is not entirely uncommon with anal intercourse, especially if there is not an adequate amount of lube being applied and then reapplied. If you actually did go more than 10 minutes of vigorous sex without reapplying lube, then anal tearing is not unusual. For many of us, latex barriers (condoms) increase the possibility of tearing in the anal lining and increase the likelihood of bleeding during sex.

All of this is simply to say that it makes logical sense that he did not bleed during those first 2-4 minutes of condomless penetration, but then did start to tear and bleed after a prolonged period of sex with latex barriers.

The only way you are going to get the information you really need is to get an HIV test. But I can tell you that based on these details, it certainly does not appear you are were at grave risk from this event.

If you're like me and more than 300,000 people in the world who prefer the choice to experience sexual intimacy without latex barriers while preventing HIV, then you may wish to consider using PrEP. This is a daily pill someone who is HIV negative takes to remain HIV negative even if exposed. To learn more about drug regimen feel free to visit our resource library here at TheBody.com at http://www.thebody.com/index/treat/tenofovir_prevention.html.

Previous
Fact Vs. Story: How safe is protected sex?
Next
HIV Risk From Oral Sex?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.