Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Panicking reactions from shave

Jul 7, 2018

I have been told to ask the experts i hope i've found them, my concern is about male hair cutting salons, i went to barber shop for hair and beards shaving,before he started his job,i told him,plz will you be more gently ,because i have pimples and bumps below my chin, he responded yes,and started to shave my hairs first,once he finished ,he descended to the chin,and cut a small pimple,which started to bleed as soon as he cut it, i was anxious and became so worried even wanted to stop him from shaving me,but he responded ,he didn't shave any one for 2 days before me,my question is, am i not at risk of acquiring HIV if the client before me had HIV?

Response from Mr. Jacobs

The good news here is that your barber did nothing to put you any risk for HIV. HIV must have a direct route of transmission from one person's body into the mucous membranes of another, hence why sexual intercourse or IV drug transmission are the more common routes between adults. It is not transmitted through casual contact such as hugging, touching, kissing, sharing utensils, or shaving. If people could get HIV from receiving a shave or a haircut then there would be a lot more HIV in the world.

Now let's just say for the sake of argument that there were other blood borne illnesses you were asking about such as Hepatitis C. Even then, you were not put at any kind of risk. Most barber shops have standard practices for keeping all sharp objects sterile so they cannot transmit infections.

Even if your barber didn't follow these hygienic protocols, you would not be put at risk given it was your pimple that was cut and bleeding. The only theoretical risk here would be to your barber if YOU had an illness and your blood got into HIS system somehow. But in this abstract scenario, because you are the bleeder, and because he did not drop someone else's blood, semen, or vaginal fluids into your open bleeding sore, you were not put at any risk.

I hope this helps you put your anxiety at ease, and realize that sometimes the fear of something happening gives us far more anxiety and misery than the realistic possibility of that something happening.

To learn more about actual routes of HIV transmission, please visit out resource page here at The Body at: http://www.thebody.com/content/30024/hiv-transmission.html

Previous
Unprotected receptive anal intercourse (Dipping)?
Next
Fact Vs. Story: How safe is protected sex?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.