Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

How soon is PrEP effective after a break of a week?

Jun 23, 2018

I was on prep for 30 days and missed prep doses for a week. I did not have any sex during that time. However I am back on prep and I have had 4 doses after my one week break. My question is when will prep become fully effective after this break in order for it to be safer to have unprotected anal sex again.

Response from Mr. Jacobs

For all intents and purposes, after missing a week of PrEP and restarting, it will be just like you are starting the first time since there is currently no drug in your system. However long it took for you to become effective the first time is how long it will take you now after a one week break.

Exactly how long it will take for you to build maximal protection depends on who you ask and where you ask it. Dr. Dave Glidden has demonstrated that there is about 77% protection for rectal sex even after one dose (http://www.aidsmap.com/Intermittent-PrEP.../page/2986809/). The French IPERGAY trial has shown maximal protection is offered for rectal sex when 2 doses are used 2-24 hours before a sexual event, then one dose 24 hours later, and another 48 hours after that (http://www.aidsmap.com/Ipergay-trial-PrEP-still-protected-people-who-had-less-sex-and-used-it-less-often/page/3159786/). The U.S. CDC says that PrEP reaches maximum protection from HIV for receptive anal sex at about 7 days of daily use. For receptive vaginal sex and injection drug use, PrEP reaches maximum protection at about 20 days of daily use (https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/basics/prep.html).

So as you can see, no matter which framework we're using, four consistent doses appear to offer significant prophylaxis for anal sex. In that case you are definitely having protected anal sex, not "unprotected" anal sex as you asked. PrEP, with or without condoms, offers protection for anal sex of 99% or greater when taken as prescribed. It is safe to say that after four consistent doses you are having protected anal sex.

You don't mention why you took a week break, if this was planned, or by choice. But in any event, I hope this information helps you to make sexual decisions that allow you to have the kind of intimacy and pleasure you wish to experience.

Previous
Paranoid HIV Question
Next
Top, Cut, Bareback, PrEP

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.