Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Paranoid HIV Question

Jun 22, 2018

Hello! About 11 months ago, I had sex with another man and we were protected. But, after anal sex he removed the condom and cleaned and right after I performed oral sex on him and he came inside my mouth forcefully which I immediately reacted with going to the bathroom and began to aggressively wash my mouth and brushed my teeth. I wasnt sure of his status since it was just a one night stand.

Im very much worried right now since I have been experiencing some of the symptoms, but not at the same time. For example, Ive had this tingling and numbing sensation in my arms and hands and also I have these headaches that seem to be distributed around my head. Right now, I can say that I probably have a strong immunity since I havent had a fever in a while.

Response from Mr. Jacobs

Hello!

I understand you have spent the better part of the past year worrying about this one encounter. I know how much fear can interrupt our experience of living life in a joyful and meaningful way. The good news here is that the circumstances you describe are considered extremely low to zero in terms of any type of HIV risk. The bad news is that no one can tell you your HIV status without a test.

Many people share worries about getting HIV from oral sex. That is partly because in the early days of the epidemic, ejaculate (or cum) in the mouth was considered to be a mild-low risk activity. However, based on what we understand now about transmission, the CDC says, "There is little to no risk of getting or transmitting HIV from oral sex." (https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/risk/oralsex.html).

So what's going on with the symptoms? Only a doctor can tell you for sure. But tingling and numbing are not typical signs of HIV seroconversions. Night sweats, fevers, swollen lymph nodes, and diarrhea are more normal signs of recent seroconversion. However, since these are also symptoms of many many other conditions, including anxiety, it is important that anyone concerns about HIV get tested.

Given it's been 11 months you will have no problem getting an HIV test that will be able to offer you accurate results about this encounter. But again, my guess here is that your worry if far greater than any actual risk. I hope this information helps you to relax, take action, and enjoy the joy and pleasure of sexual encounters with minimal concerns.

Previous
Cum in my bum?
Next
How soon is PrEP effective after a break of a week?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.