Risk if Partner on PrEP, I am not?

My partner is on PrEP (he regularly tests HIV neg) and he takes it daily. I am not on PrEP (I regularly test HIV neg). We had condomless sex once, and I topped him and ejaculated inside him. Is there any risk of HIV transmission whether him to me or me to him? (This is assuming somehow one of us recently contracted HIV.)

Response from Mr. Jacobs

If someone is HIV negative, they cannot transmit HIV. PrEP is a way that 100,000s of men and women around the world are choosing to stay HIV negative so that they do not receive nor transmit HIV to others. So the short answer to you question is "no."

However, since you're asking me about risk, I would invite you to consider the possibility of PrEP for yourself. It sounds to me like you are making your partner's decision to use PrEP your primary method of staying HIV negative. That potentially could be problematic, especially if you are ever sexually active with others.

One of the reasons why so many choose to use PrEP is because of the peace of mind it offers. It allows the individual to be 100% in control of their HIV status regardless of whether they top or bottom. Similar to birth control pills, it gives someone autonomy and decision about what happens or doesn't happen to their body. Is there a possibility these are goals for you as well?

If you are interested in learning more about PrEP experiences, as well as information about access and ways to afford PrEP, please check out the international "PrEP Facts" Facebook group at

Either way, I hope this information helps you and your partner enjoy the pleasure, safety, and security you both deserve.

Advice Please: On PrEP and Unprotected Sex with HIV Positive Partner?