Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Protected Receptive Anal Sex?

Sep 29, 2017

I had a protected receptive anal sex with a money boy in thailand for the first time

I was topping him

After about 3-4 minutes, I carefully removed my penis and with an intact latex condom and I checked for any leakage and there was none. The only issue is that I noticed there were some lubricant on my penile shaft closer to the pubic area. I inspected for any open wound on my shaft and I couldn't find any.

The money boy claimed that he checks his HIV status every 3 months and he confidently told me that his status is negative

I'm not sure what's my risk of acquiring HIV?

Shall I be worried?

Response from Mr. Jacobs

Based on the events you are describing, there is literally no risk of acquiring HIV from this encounter.

I was a little confused by the description given you wrote "Receptive Anal Sex" in your Title, but your question only mentions insertive anal sex (or "topping"). In either scenario, a condom was used and remained intact during the entire encounter. There was no breakage, no exchange of semen.

So why was there lubricant on your shaft? Because maybe there was some on your hands? Maybe there was some in the condom already (if it was a lubricated condom)? Maybe if you used lube while topping him then some got on your shaft when you took it off? Who knows, lube has a funny way of finding itself around body parts where you never expected it. The point is, you used a condom successfully to top a guy who was already HIV negative. There were no opportunities here for HIV transmission.

I know many folks who write in are especially concerned about acquiring HIV from sex workers. But please keep in mind, sex workers are often being tested MUCH more frequently than non-sex workers. So if you're using a condom with a 'money boy' who tells you he's negative and getting tested every 3 months, you are at much less risk of acquiring HIV from him than a 'free boy' who isn't getting tested regularly.

If you are finding yourself sexually active but concerned about acquiring HIV, then you may wish to consider using pre-exposure prophylaxis "PrEP" as well for protection. You can learn more about PrEP here: http://www.thebody.com/index/treat/tenofovir_prevention.html .

Previous
Risk When Condom Breaks With Guy On PrEP ?
Next
Prep and oral sex?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.