Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Grindr hook up and Prep

Sep 12, 2017

Hi,

This was a rare instance for me, but I gave oral sex literally to a "stranger" I met on Grindr. I found him super attractive so I went along with it. We talked for a few days on the app, he said he's negative and tested two months ago. However, you can't really trust anyone. I'm on Prep for 9 months, take my pill daily. He did cum in my mouth (most I spit out). Now I'm worried of HIV, can you provide your thoughts?

Response from Mr. Jacobs

Hi,

Congrats on having a pleasurable experience. I'm just sorry it was accompanied afterward by so much worry. Based on the events you described, there is zero risk of having acquired HIV from this fun encounter. Here's why:

(1) You say you've been on PrEP daily for 9 months. Daily use of PrEP brings risk of acquiring HIV to nearly zero (http://www.natap.org/2016/ICAAC/ICAAC_02.htm).

(2) Even without PrEP it is nearly impossible to acquire HIV from oral sex. The CDC considers oral sex to be a negligible risk on their estimator tool, which you can access at https://wwwn.cdc.gov/hivrisk/estimator .

Based on the evidence there is no medical reason to be concerned about HIV here. However, it sounds to me like you, and most gay/bisexual men, have been conditioned to be worried and afraid of pleasurable sexual encounters, especially more causal connections on social apps. More than thirty years of messaging have instructed us to fear our desires, and fear other people's bodies. I hope that you can use this experience as an opportunity to explore where this worry about HIV is coming from, and change your mind.

When I speak to others about "PrEP" I say it stands for more than the "Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis," but also for "Proactive Responsible Empowered Pleasure." Inherent is this idea that you have a right to information that can help you feel empowered about how you experience sexual pleasure with others, free of shame, stigma, or fear. For more information, please join us over at the international Facebook group at : https://www.facebook.com/groups/PrEPFacts/

Previous
PreP bare- withdraw method risk
Next
I'm an uncut top on prep!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.