Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Tested negative after one week but me and wife are having symptoms

Aug 22, 2017

Hello 4 weeks ago i received oral sex from a prostitute and she had a rash on her arm but she said it was excema. Later that night i had sex with my wife and 2 days later me and her were having frequently Bowe movements so i looked up signs of hiv and saw that was one of them so i instantly start to panic so a week from my encounter i took all the std test including hiv which they all can back negative but I'm still wondering if i still have it and they couldn't detect because it was to soon because my body has been aching and my wife has a sever headache that's been going on for two days now. So my question is should i take another test are am i just worrying to much?

Response from Mr. Jacobs

The good news here is that nothing you are describing would have put you at risk for HIV. Remember, HIV must have a direct route of transmission from one person's body into the mucous membranes of another, hence why sexual intercourse or IV drug transmission are the more common routes between adults. Simply receiving oral sex from someone could not put you at risk.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the sex worker would have had to have a detectable (or transmittable) level of HIV in order to give it to others. Sex workers in many parts of the world are often tested and treated for HIV and STIs more frequently than the general population. That is still no guarantee of no risk at all, but does demonstrate that automatically assuming someone is living with HIV is not practical nor reasonable.

So what's going on with the frequent bowel movements, aches, and headaches? Only a doctor can tell you for sure. But I can tell you that those are all common symptoms of anxiety that can persist when we spent an excessive amount of time worrying.

You could definitely get tested if you wanted to, but four weeks is more than enough time for an STI to show up, and on most tests, HIV as well. I do encourage you to talk to a doctor about your physical symptoms, and then consider the possibility of how a mental health therapist may help. Hopefully you will be able to get to the point where sexual decisions and emotional reactions can be guided by medical facts and scientific data.

To learn more about how HIV is transmitted, and not transmitted, please check out library here at The Body.com -- http://www.thebody.com/content/30024/hiv-transmission.html.

Previous
Side Effects of Coming off PrEP?
Next
PreP bare- withdraw method risk

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.