Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can I be HIV-infected after protected drunk sex?

May 1, 2017

Hi,

3 days ago I was drunk and had protected anal sex with a complete stranger. We both wore condoms. I don't remember anything of condom slipping off or breaking. He later ejaculated on my face. Some might have got in my eye or mouth. Later we shared a shower together and I left.

Should I be worried about being infected? I am planning on going for HIV-test tomorrow.

Response from Mr. Jacobs

Hi there -- Sounds like you had a good time! Unfortunately, most of us have been conditioned to come away from a night of drunken pleasure with a stranger with a sense of fear, dread, and trepidation, as if there must be a punishment for a fun and exciting romp.

Fortunately, the activities you describe put you at near zero risk of acquiring HIV. Although you don't go into great detail, it sounds like he ejaculated only on your face. That, in and of itself, might be messy, but not risky. Detectable levels of HIV must enter your mucous membranes in order to build residence in your body. Just entering your mouth, or even a speck in your eye, would not be enough. [Trust me, you would definitely know if a sufficient quantity of semen entered your eye!].

Of course testing is the only way to know for sure. You may, however, want to wait a couple of weeks before getting tested, given many HIV tests have a window period of 10-21 days. You can always ask the testing site what kind of tests they are using, and what the expected window period might be.

You also don't mention if your partner disclosed his HIV status or not. Perhaps it did not come up in conversation in these exchanges. But keep in mind, if he is HIV negative he cannot transmit HIV to others. And if he is HIV positive, and undetectable for six months or longer, he cannot transmit HIV either (http://www.thebody.com/content/77932/sex-58000-times-with-undetectable-partners--zero-h.html).

But based on the events you describe, I don't see a window of opportunity for HIV to have entered you body. If you find yourself concerned about exposure to HIV in the future, you may wish to consider using PrEP to reduce risk by more than 99%: http://www.thebody.com/index/treat/tenofovir_prevention.html .

Have fun, and good luck!

Previous
Risk From Discharge?
Next
He came on my bleeding ass after protected anal sex

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.