Unprotected sex with someone on Prep?

I recently had unprotected sex with someone who was on Prep and I wasn't. I tested negative and my partner said he does testing regularly and is negative. I was the receptive partner and this was my first time having unprotected sex.

I am now scared that I may have caught HIV as he ejaculated in me. What are the chances of getting infected if i am not on Prep but my partner is.

Response from Mr. Jacobs

I'm sorry that a sexual encounter resulted in so much fear and confusion. Based on the events you described, you seem to be at no risk for HIV. Hopefully some general information will help clear that up.

(1) If your partner is on PrEP then you did not have "unprotected sex." PrEP is the most protection someone can get from HIV next to abstinence. For this reason the U.S. CDC no longer equates "condomless sex" with "unprotected sex." This may seem like a subtle word choice, but how we use language is important to how we understand facts.

(2) You recently tested HIV negative. The window period can vary from test to test, but most newer tests can tell you if you are HIV positive within 2-3 weeks. When in doubt, you can always test again.

(3) Your partner told you he is on PrEP and HIV negative. Although I don't recommend taking another person's word as the primary tool of protection, it sounds like he has consistently communicated with you that he is consistently taking PrEP. And remember, someone who is HIV negative cannot transmit HIV.

(4) Let's just say for the sake of argument that he was not on PrEP, and was HIV+, with a detectable viral load. The chance of you acquiring HIV from one exposure as the receptive partner (bottom) is still 1 in 70 (1.43%). https://www.poz.com/article/HIV-risk-25382-5829

Given this experience, I wonder if you have considered using PrEP for yourself? It would be an opportunity to experience these kinds of connections without being scared of getting HIV afterward. If you are in the U.S. you can find a qualified provider close to you at www.PrEPLocator.org. Or for more information and interactive discussion, feel free to join the international PrEP Facts group page at https://www.facebook.com/groups/PrEPFacts/ .

Not Taking PrEP Correctly?
Licking Balls?