Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Getting Pregnant With Partner Off Meds?

Sep 12, 2016

I am a lady aged 37 and my husband is living with hiv since 2000 and I am negative. He is on medication but because of his job he sometimes default for months. Like now his cards are showing he last took meds in Feb and we are in Aug. I have read a lot about how we can be able to have kids in this situation. How really possible is it and what are my chances of being infected in the process.

Response from Mr. Jacobs

Thank you so much for reaching out. It is now completely feasible for a serodiscordant couple (where one is HIV+ and one is HIV negative) to safely conceive a child. Let's review how that's possible:

1. If and when your partner resumes his HIV treatment medications, he is likely to obtain an undetectable viral load. Research has now shown us that when a person living with HIV has an undetectable for six months or longer they are unable to transmit HIV to another person. It sounds like your husband has been struggling to stay on his meds for financial reasons. If that is the case he may qualify for assistance through the AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP). This is a program in the U.S. that provides HIV medications to people who cannot afford them. I'm sure his doctor is familiar with this program and can help him explore this option.

2. For yourself, Pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) can be a way to conceive naturally with an HIV+ partner. Daily use of PrEP reduces your chance of acquiring HIV by about 99%, and has been used by HIV negative women around the world to have families with HIV+ husbands or partners. There are numerous ways to get PrEP paid for with or without insurance.

You can learn a lot more about PrEP on this TheBody.com page.

I truly hope your husband is able to get back on his meds very soon, and the two of you have the family and future you want and deserve.

Previous
Detectable after 7 years
Next
Took truvada after sex for two days then took PEP 3 half days later

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.