Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV From Hiking?

Aug 12, 2016

I was recently hiking with a friend who is HIV+. We had to climb up an extremely steep hill with trees on it. The only thing I was paying attention to was not falling or sliding down so when I asked for help and he offered his arm and hand several times, I didn't notice he had cuts and was bleeding on his forearm. He later showed them to me. I too had cuts (smaller than his) on my right hand and left foot. I didn't notice blood on me but as I said, I was focused on not falling. Is there a possibility of my becoming infected?

Response from Mr. Jacobs

It sounds your experiences in the wild were filled with more adventure than you expected! Certainly, any rigorous physical activities in life can have unexpected obstacles, some of which can include scraping and bleeding.

The good news is that HIV is not transmitted through simple skin contact, and does not survive long outside the body. It must have a direct route of transmission from one person's body into the mucous membranes of another, hence why sexual transmission and IV drug transmission are the more common routes between adults. Simply having contact with another person's blood while you have some scrapes makes transmission extremely unlikely.

Additionally, if a person living with HIV is on medication treatment, and has an undetectable viral load, then their risk of transmitting HIV is nearly zero, even if there is an exposure. If you have any concerns, you may want to ask your friend if he is taking HIV medications. And of course, getting yourself tested is always the best way to know your own HIV status.

Previous
burning in my pennis
Next
Can I Transmit HIV As A Bottom?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.