UK MAN

2.5 months ago I had oral sex with a man (I don't think I had any mouth ulcers but I can't be sure). I didn't brush my teeth directly before nor afterwards. In fact afterwards i had a big glass of rum! He was 28 and said he had been married for six years - he told me he had performed oral sex just the once to another man eight weeks before our encounter. Although we had oral sex we both stopped sucking long before the other 'came'. I have a test in two weeks but am getting more nervous - I read lots of different statistics on the Internet and most of them really worry me. What are the chances of me having contracted HIV from this encounter. I can guarantee that there have been no other ocassions where I could have contracted HIV.

The risk for infection through performing oral sex on an HIV positive man is low. If you do not have any cuts or sores in your mouth, have good oral health, and did not get any ejaculate in your mouth, then your risk is even lower. There is increasing evidence that people are infected by performing oral sex on men, but the numbers are still relatively low when compared to unprotected anal sex (one study estimates 7-8% of men in the study were infected through oral sex alone).

If you want to decrease your risk for infection through oral sex, you can always use a condom. If you don't want to use condoms(which is a popular choice), make sure you have good oral health and that you get as little semen in your mouth as possible.

Read through the "Oral Sex" articles at The Body (http://thebody.com/safesex/oralsex.html). Read through the articles entitled "What You Should Know About Oral Sex" and "Don't Swallow: A Look at the Risks of Oral Sex."

RMK

Need a little advice....
neg at 9 mo, but pos at 11. how?