Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Razor at barbershop

Aug 31, 2014

I have a concern that obsessed me for weeks. 2 weeks ago, I went to a barbershop (a very clean shop, A/C equipped and kinda costly in my local). I had my hair washed and then the hairdresser shaved my beard and mustache without asking me whether I want or not as usual she does. Right after that I asked her that if she changed a new razor for me and she said "Yes, I do". Actually I am a cautious person in health issues so I still could not believe her really much. I felt a little bit burn (my face skin is extremely sensitive to changing humidity, temperature and other external factors like dusts or chemical and my face hair is not really soft) and my skin was kind of dry after shaving that time. There was no visibly bleeding and no reddish in my skin where shaving area was. In addition, at the time I walked in the barbershop, it was not crowded (actually as I got in there, I did not need to sit and wait for my turn but got my hair washed right away). The time I walked in I noticed that there was no one that was having their hair washed or shaved. Because as I have said, I cannot believe anyone out there but myself, I want to know what my possibility of getting HIV risk in my case? I come from a city in Vietnam. Sorry for my terrible English but I hope you understand my case and explain it for me asap.

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

There is no risk for HIV in the situation you're talking about.

Being a cautious person about your health is great! But.. you need to be working with the right information to do that. There is no risk because HIV can not live outside the body. It just can't. So by the time that the razor came in contact with you any HIV that maybe was on it before, would have died a long time before.

There could be risk for something like Hepatitis B (since that can still infect through dry blood), but it would still have to be a significant amount of blood and need a clear way inside of your body.

Btw, I understood your English perfectly. No worries.

Hope this helps,

Erik

Previous
Tattoo needle stick risk?
Next
What was my risk for HIV/STDs after having sex with a male? I'm a straight young guy..

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.