Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dr Wohl I hope your advice to me on 22 Aug be true
Aug 24, 2014

Dr. Wohl,

I am totally indebted to you, your advice to my question on 22 Aug "Dr Wohl need your advice desparately - Risks & Testing on Serious Events", has assured me.

However today I gave them another blood sample and contacted the local Pathologist Dr. He said that my previous results were 1.17 on HIV Duo so as per international protocol they have asked for a re-sample.

He also informed me that 1.17 is borderline and they will repeat the test and do a split test separately for AG and AB. He also inform me that he also thinks that this may be a false positive as the value is less, earlier test and possible low exposure. But they will give the results as indeterminate if the repeat test is positive and split tests are negative. which then will have to be confirmed by two PCR RNAs. I am under tremendous stress and a line or two from you will be soothing. I will keep you informed when I get the results.

Response from Dr. Wohl

Yes, in repeat testing in cases where the risk of infection is low or nil the chances of a false positive become greater than the chance of true infection.

DW

Previous
dentist ultrasonic scaler
Next
Need to clarify

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.