Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

dentist ultrasonic scaler
Aug 24, 2014

Many Thanks for your reply Dr Wohl. I really appreciate your time. It was unclear whether it was a penetration. I definitely felt a sharp penetrating sensation but it was difficult to see if there was a penetration due to persistent pressure on the area to try to push out blood. The attempted was not successful (did not bleed from the skin) but it made the area very red and difficult to examine for a possible penetration. If we assume that there was a penetration, could the tip of the cavitron contain enough virus for transmitting HIV despite constant irrigation with water? The tip was not used on patient's tissue but perhaps contaminated with his saliva (again it is constantly irrigated with water and has ultrasonic vibration). Is a supper facial penetration also a risk for infection? Best regards

Response from Dr. Wohl

I don't think there could have been any where near sufficient virus present to cause infection in this case.

DW

Previous
valtrex and hiv
Next
Dr Wohl I hope your advice to me on 22 Aug be true

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.