The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

can i get HIV if i ingest some blood?

Aug 23, 2014

Last week i was drinking coffee in a bar. when the waiter gave me my coffee i drank it. Then i saw a bloody stain on the mug, on the wall of the mug. And then i also saw that the waiter has a bandage, so it was probably his blood. So i am worried that maybe his blood was in my coffee. Is it possible that i can get HIV like that? if i didnt see and drank blood in my coffee, or that i didnt saw and i have a contact with my mouth with a bloody stain on the mug. I have sometimes bloody gums ( when i brush my teeth), and sometimes i have Aphthous Mouth Ulcers especialy when my imunne system is low, but this day i didnt have that. That day i have a soar throat it was begining of a cold. Thank you for the answer

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question.

This does not sound like a risky situation. Keep in mind that HIV is relatively not an easy virus to get or give.

You're not going to get HIV from blood that's been outside the human body (the HIV dies very quickly after leaving the body). It also sounds like a very small amount of blood. We're not sure it even touched you.

When you add all that together, it doesn't sound like a significant exposure. We're not even sure you touched something.

Hope that helps,


HIV and Chlamydia
HIV risk from one day old non bleeding cut

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint