The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Are condoms safe and effect for man-to-man anal sex?

Aug 23, 2014

1. are condoms like Durex safe & effective for man-to-man anal sex? (some say that there are 2 types of condoms 1 for vaginal & 1 for anal)

Is there a safe way to perform gay oral sex between 2 men?

(I've heard that a condom is NOT needed even if semen is swallowed if the guy doesn't have any mouth sores?)

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your questions,

Let's take them one at a time. Condoms are definitely very safe and effective for anal sex. There are two types of condoms, but what you're thinking is the kind that cover the penis and the other kind that fits inside the butt or vagina. Think of it as an inside out condom . They both do the same thing though: prevent fluids from passing between two people.

The safest way to perform oral sex is the same regardless of gender. Using a condom is one option. Having two partners that talk openly and honestly about their status helps too. Keep in mind that oral sex is very low risk for HIV (although it can definitely be higher risk for other STDs). Mouth sores or bleeding gums definitely increase the risk though.

We wouldn't say a condom isn't needed. This is a choice that sex partners need to decide together thinking about all that I mentioned above. Swallowing or spitting doesn't matter so long as the semen doesn't just sit in the mouth.

Hope this helps!


HIV, broken condoms, and risk
HIV and Chlamydia

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint