Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Condom broke with HIV+ female
Aug 23, 2014

I was having protected sex with a CSW and the condom broke during the act. I must have had 6-7 mins of unprotected sex, however i did not ejaculate. After discovering the condom broke i stopped. I am uncircumcised. This happened 15 days ago and i was freaking out so i got an icare HIV kit and told the CSW to take the test, which came out positive. She was totally shocked and told me it is impossible, that she has a baby and she got tested during her pregnancy. She also told me she had a blood transfusion done once.

I am totally freaking out now that it is confirmed she was positive. What are my odds? I heard that the odds are 1/2000 for penile vaginal sex, and chances decrease to 50 percent if uncircumcised. Does that mean i have a 1/1000 chance? Please help. I have also made a donation to the website, as i regularly use this website. Your help would be greatly appreciated. I should also add that i have not had any symptoms so far. Is that a good sign? Regards the test, is a DUO at 28 days confirmatory?

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

It sounds like both of you have some steps to take to better understand and attend to your health. Since your sex was unprotected (for a little while), there was risk of getting HIV for you. A test around a month is a very good indicator of your status. A test around the 3 month mark will confirm that!

For your sex partner, it sounds like you had enough regular contact for her to take a HIV test. Definitely recommend for her to find a doctor to start her own HIV healthcare. Many of those can be found online. She probably has many questions of her own about how she became HIV positive. Remember that someone always gets HIV from someone else, it's not something they ask for. It can be due to an accident, much like the case you're experiencing now.

Hope this helps,

Erik

P.S. While we appreciate your donation (thanks!). Please don't feel like that's necessary to get our attention in answering your questions. Likewise, remember that there's a whole archive of previously answered questions that you may find helpful while waiting for someone to respond.

Previous
Am I infected with Hepatitis?
Next
can i get hiv/std/sti?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.