Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Am I infected with Hepatitis?
Aug 23, 2014

Hi Thebody

97 days (13.8 weeks) after potential exposure I did a full std panel (HIV/Hepatitis B/C/ Syphilis) and got back the results which stated negative for everything.

As today 135 days after exposure the only symptoms I have are feeling feverish, abdominal pain in the right quadrant (which feels very clear in the mornings and evenings/nights), and some minor nausea, but not bad.

Visited the ER after 134 days and complained about the pain around my liver? or gallbladder? and ALT and AST levels were normal. WBC normal, none of all the values they got from the testing indicated on any problem. All values normal.

I've ruled out hepatitis C, thats too unlikely to have spread from the exposure I had, but If I look back at the symptoms I've experienced many symptoms could indicate hepatitis B

My test results from the hepatitis B panel was the following, i think they use CMIA, but not sure;

HBsAg negative

HBsAb 25.51 iu/l (most likely immune due to 3-shot hepatitis B vaccination (twinrix) 9 years ago.

HBcAb negative.

Are all my tests conclusive? Could my symptoms be HepB which my body trying to fight off? (since I'm _proven_ vaccinated/immune) Can HBsAG and HBsAB be positive at the same time?

All the doctors in Sweden say 6 month for hepatitis B and C for conclusive results, but CDC say otherwise. What should I rely on?

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

From all that you're describing, it sounds like you're negative for Hepatitis. I would trust your test results.

If you continue to feel discomfort in your body, I would keep in mind that there are hundreds upon hundreds of diseases in the world. Not just Hepatitis. I would continue a conversation with your doctors about what else might be causing your discomfort.

I would also consider the role that stress might be playing in your physical health.

Hope this helps,

Erik

Previous
HIV transmission via breast milk?
Next
Condom broke with HIV+ female

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.