Am I at risk for HIV now?

Hey,I have OCD so I'm not sure if im overreacting to this situation or not, but for the past week i've been terrified of getting hiv. So I went to the dentist, and afterwords when rinsing out at the sink, I accidentally touched the cup to the faucet when filling it with water. I then rinsed with the water. I'm nervous because my gums were bleeding, and i'm scared that someone earlier in the day may have gotten some hiv+ blood on the faucet while rinsing. Is this possible? Could hiv+ blood survive on a sink faucet for more than a few minutes?

Response from Mr. Glenn

You're definitely overreacting. There is no risk in this situation (for reasons detailed over and over within our forum).

My question to you is if you have a regular professional that you're working with to help you manage this irrational thoughts.

I'm sure this is causing you tons of distress. You mentioned being terrified of HIV. I'm guessing that you've been told before that situations like this are not risky, but it's hard to accept those messages?

Keep working at the believing with a professional. In time, it'll get easier to accept that HIV is not easy or simple to get.

Hope this helps,

Erik

sharing liquid bandage/hiv risk?
risk through a wound, asking third time