sharing liquid bandage/hiv risk?

byjason366,Aug 15, 2014

I received a small cut on my finger, washed it thoroughly after and dried it. About 10 minutes after getting cut, I used our work first aid kits liquid bandage. It's similar to a bottle of nail polish with the small brush sitting in the liquid. I used it to cover my wound. Later on I realized that other people in our office had used it before as it was not sealed. If someone with HIV had used it on a cut of theirs, does this place me at risk for HIV? Would it be possible for their blood to stay on the brush or liquid and infect me? The liquid did not appear bloody at all. I'm very concerned about this and would appreciate some information.Thanks in advance

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

There is no risk for HIV in what you're talking about at all.

For HIV to transmit, there has to be a body fluid carrying HIV (blood/semen/vaginal fluid/breast milk) that comes out of someone's body and goes directly/immediately inside the body of another person.

All of this needs to happen. Hardly any of this happened in your case. Any blood that could've been around was long dead before you got there.

Hope this helps,

Erik

A one time slip
Am I at risk for HIV now?