Mr. Glenn, please help me!

I am pregnant so this situation severely worries me. I was at a fast food restaurant about to order. I needed to blow my nose so I used a Kleenex. I noticed the Kleenex had blood on it. My nose runs and bleeds often on the inside as a side effect of my pregnancy. It Is nothing I worry about.

after blowing my nose, I went to order my food. I remember handing the woman at the register my card to pay and then taking my cup and walking over to the fountain to fill it up. I believe it was when she handed me the card back that I noticed a small thin blood smear on the outside of my pointer finger.

I immediately went to the bathroom to wash it off and looking in the mirror I noticed there was blood on the inside of my nose as well as on the outside tip of my nose. I at first assumed that the blood was from my own bleeding nose and that I must have wiped it with my hand causing the blood smear to get there BUT what if the blood came from the woman at the cash register if she had a fresh bleeding cut on her hand and then while handing me one of my items wiped it onto my finger that I used to wipe the inside of my nose.

I know the nose is a mucous membrane. Would this be a risk since the blood would be very fresh and went directly from her hand to mine to my nose? Please help. If this sounds like I'm just crazy I'm sorry but my fear right now is intense. I just want to protect my baby and I'm scared.

Response from Mr. Glenn

You need to talk to someone about your irrational fears around getting HIV. That's really where we are with this case.

There is no risk in what you're talking about (mainly because HIV doesn't live outside of the body long and would need to be pushed up inside your own body in a significant amount).

You named your fear yourself and how intense it is. Think about if there are any counselors you can talk to in your area to help you figure out how to manage this fears. Many can be searched out online.

Hope this helps,

Erik

Touching dried blood of HIV+ sister
hiv from wiped semen