Touching dried blood of HIV+ sister

My sister has HIV. She is in the hospital with a broken back. While visiting her I was rubbing her forehead and noticed dried blood at her hairline. I may have touched it with my fingers. Could I be infected?

Response from Mr. Glenn

It sounds like you have many questions about how HIV is transmitted. This is very important stuff for you to learn for your own health AND how to be a good support to your sister as she manages her health (HIV and recovery from her broken back).

First off, there is absolutely no risk of getting HIV in what you're talking about. NONE. HIV simply is not transmitted through dried blood. A body fluid carrying HIV needs to come out of someone's body and go directly/immediately inside of your body. This only happens in very specific cases like sex or sharing needles during drug use.

This brings me to my second point: there is no risk of getting HIV from casual contact with your sister. This even includes cases where blood is involved because it still needs a way to get inside your body right after it leaves her body. Unless you have big open fresh cuts on your fingers, I'm not sure how this could even be a possibility from you touching her forehead.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask here and search through our archives for information that's already been covered.

Hope this helps,

Erik

Exposure during test
Mr. Glenn, please help me!