Hiv and risk %

Hello Dr. my lover is HIV + with just under 500 Count in her viral load test's and her and i don't have sex. but want to. Myself am O- blood type. based on the 2 numbers with protected sex. me being O- what is my % of chance on getting or not getting her HIV? safe sex practice as we all know is not 100% safe from her HIV. but i would like a % answer am i at a 100% risk, 50% Risk or a 30% risk? lets assume the condom broke. --"""whats is my risk factor in % with her viral load just at 500, and me being O- ?"""-- if you tell me 100% we wont have sex until she is at 50 viral load or less. were we have been told it drops to 92% chance i cant get her HIV. i hope this makes since and i can get a more def % based answer if the condom brakes.

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

It's not really possible for us to talk in terms of percentage. There are so many factors that go into why someone becomes infected after exposure that can be hard to measure in an individual case.

BUT that doesn't mean we can't talk in terms of what will highly increase or decrease your chance of catching HIV from your partner. Here's some things to think about:

- Penetrating is less risky than being penetrated - A partner with an undetectable viral load is highly unlikely to transmit HIV - Neither partner having a STD decreases risk of HIV even more - The HIV negative partner taking PrEP as prescribed greatly reduces the chance of catching HIV when exposed - Regular condom use greatly reduces risk of getting HIV also

Lots of options for you and your partner to talk about to ensure you both remain healthy and in control of your HIV statuses!

Hope this helps,

Erik

hiv (anxiety )
can smooch and penis touch (with out condom) cause hiv or aids