Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

hiv (anxiety )
Aug 23, 2014

Hello Dr. , let me tell my story please .. so on the 15th of July 2014 i had a sexual encounter with a sex worker in kyrenia (north Cyprus) sexual workers get tested every week here . so while i was having sex the condom broke .. like it really got damaged a lot as if wasn't wearing one at all , the duration was 2-3 minutes max unprotected and without ejaculation . in less than 24 hours i had thrush even though i didn't perform oral on her at all not even kissing . when i saw the thrush i panicked a lot i was going to faint and started having morning diarrhea. i tested negative the next day .. i am panicking a lot (anxiety ) . i keep on going to the doctors who told me i am alright and it needs at least a month to get tested again , they also said if i remain like that i will need a psychiatrist and might suffer from brain damage . i had no other sexual encounter at all . doctor i can't do this anymore i am really suffering . p.s i went to the strip club and the manager started laughing and told me she is completely clean and she's available now , he also said her tests came negative but he didn't show me .

So please tell me what to do :((

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thank you for your question,

I'm sorry to hear about all the distress this is causing you. I have to say firstly, it does sound like you had risk for HIV through the condom breaking. But remember: risk just means possibility, not something definite. That's why you have to get tested.

Symptoms are typically NOT a way to know if someone is infected, they can merely inspire you to get tested and find out you status for sure.

You're definitely obsessing here. Your frequent visits to the doctor, thinking you have thrush (even though it wouldn't appear in less than 24 hours), and your doctors recognizing your mental stress are all signs that your stress is super high! Super high stress can definitely cause a lot of the symptoms you're worried about by itself.

You need to take a step back and find a way to give yourself peace of mind now. Because in the end only taking the HIV test will confirm your status. Not harassing the sex worker you slept with or looking for symptoms.

Hope this helps,

Erik

Previous
genital contact
Next
Hiv and risk %

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.