Could I be negative even though my friend is positive?

Okay this is a little drawn out but a friend of mine (23 years) recently contacted me when she learned of the guy that I'm seeing. I've been seeing him off and on for 2 years but we've remained very private about our relationship. She claims that he gave her HIV, after a one night stand with him last spring. I know for sure she is HIV+, and found out a last summer. She says that he was tested and was positive but when I asked him he said he is tested every June and is negative. So my first question is 1. how can I find out for sure if he does or does not have HIV? I know there are HIPAA laws regarding medical information. Also, I tested the day after she told me and my results were negative. Our last sexual encounter was in April and I've refused to sleep with him since she told me. So I am satisfied that I am negative. She thinks I need to get retested at the infectious disease doctor since I was tested at a free clinic which did a blood draw from my arm and I got the results in 20 minutes. 2. Is this really necessary? 3. Is there a difference in the testing? I am concerned because we've been seeing each other so long. I do also know that one partner can be HIV + and not pass it to the other. Ive got a lot of questions but these are the main ones I really would like answers for. Thank you!

Response from Mr. Cordova

You can go in for an HIV test together. Many places will do testing for couples. Your test from the free clinic was accurate. You do not need to retest. Transmission of HIV does not always occur. If he was positive, you may just not have been infected. If that is the case, you are lucky.

In health,

Richard

Unprotected oral sex from female independent escort?
std present??