Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Accucheck blood splatter

Hello! I was doing an accucheck on an older woman in my nursing home where I work as I do all the time. She does not have hiv diagnoses in her chart, gets routine blood work (not hiv related)... Somehow the strip with the blood on it got stuck on the her long finger nail (no clue how this happened) and flung blood onto my gloves (strips are flexable). There was maybe three small drops or flecks of blood on my glove. I didnt taste blood or feel blood on my glasses or face so I didnt feel a need to wash my face or mouth at the time. But now im thinking i should have... Is there any chance if her blood got in my mouth i would be at risk even from the small amount of blood? Would i have had to taste it? How much blood is generally needed? I did tell my supervisor who said dont worry about it. I do not have sores in my mouth. I am 8 months pregnant and will get an hiv rna test in 2 weeks if necessary. Thank you!!!!

That you were wearing glasses suggests to me that an eye splash did not occur. Further, you are talking about a small amount of blood and most landed on your glove. I see no risk here at all. I would, for your own benefit, report the incident to your occupational health officer. DW

Is oral sex a risk and is testing needed for this incident ?
Valid Concern or Paranoia?