3 month vs 6 month testing

I recently had a Hiv-1/0/2 abs test done. It was done at 86 days after possible heterosexual exposure. My results were negative but I'm still having a lot of weird symptoms. Is my test definitive or do I need to test again at 6 months? My Doc thinks I'm overreacting and doesn't think I need another test but I'm pretty much paranoid about it at this point.

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there,

You can trust the results of your 86 day test. You do not need to test again at six months. The six-month testing window is outdated. The tests that are in use are much more sensitive and can pick up an infection much earlier. Most people will show up positive by 28 days, with outliers coming in by 90 days. At 86 days you are close enough.

In the future we will begin to see the window for testing shrink even further.

In health,

Richard

Symptoms and possible HIV exposure
My ex boyfriend wore a condom during sex. do I need to test??