Receptive oral sex and early symptoms

Hello, I've been reading your excellent responses and now would like to post a question of my own.

Eight days ago I had unprotected, receptive oral sex with a new male partner. He ejaculated partially in my mouth. Two days later I began to feel slightly unwell, and for the past couple of days I have had loose stools, loss of appetite and a couple of incidents of night sweats. No rashes, no fever.

There seems to be so much speculation and uncertainty about hiv transmission during receptive oral sex. When I read that it's "theoretically possible" or "non-zero risk" I'm reminded of the language used around the odds of being hit by a meteorite. Not to treat it lightly, but is that the case? I also read about the ten-year study of 100 couples, one of whom was hiv+, where not one incident of transmission via oral sex occurred.

So my questions: should I be concerned about the symptoms I describe starting two days after the encounter? And what's the skinny on receptive oral sex in general?

Many thanks for your excellent work.

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there,

Thanks for writing in. You are correct, it's on par with the odds of getting hit by a meteorite. Your symptoms are not HIV-related. If they do not resolve themselves then perhaps a visit to your doctor is in order. They can help determine possible causes. It is not HIV.

The skinny on oral sex is that it is low-risk. Fellatio for everyone!

In health,

Richard

Dr. Wohl and Truvada
Symptoms and possible HIV exposure