Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

RNA PCR and Statpak at 8 weeks, conclusive?
Jul 1, 2014

Hey thanks for taking the time to read my question. I'll keep it brief. I possibly had an HIV exposure 8 weeks ago today. I went today to get a rapid test and they used the Statpak HIV 1/2 rapid test. It was negative I also had an RNA PCR done at 20 and 38 days. Together with these tests is it safe to say they're conclusive?? Have you heard of the statpak? I read up that planned parenthood might offer the unigold rapid test for $39. I was considering that at week #10. I read from Dr. Hunter Handsfield, M.D of medhelp.org that at 8 weeks a unigold would be conclusive. What's your feeling on this subject? Is it worth me paying the $39 for the unigold at this stage? Thanks in advance

Response from Dr. Wohl

I see no need to get a different HIV test done. The rapid test was negative and the PCR clinches it. No antibody + No virus = No infection.

DW

Previous
prick bt safety pin in a store/mall
Next
###follow up question###,didnt understand please answer one minute...im in high anxiety and worry..please ..im worry to death

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.