Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV in martial arts
Jun 23, 2014

At our martial arts school ,we sometimes have to punch the rough side of a gymnastic matt. This is usually done with 2 people sharing 1 matt.

Now from time to time, both me and my punching partner (who is BTW not always the same person) have bleeding knuckles. My partner than leaves bloodstains on the matt when punching and when it's my turn, I start punching the matt at the same spot, leaving my own bloodstains. And then we switch again.

I have no idea if anyone in my martial arts class has HIV. But if my punching partner does have HIV, is it possible that I can get HIV from accidentally punching his fresh bloodstains with my bleeding knuckle? I mean as in my small open cut exactly hitting a bloodstain. I'd like to add that there is not often much blood involved. It's mostly small cuts on the knuckles caused by grazing against the rough side of the matt and multiple droplet sized bloodstains on the matts. Someone did once get a bigger cut on his knuckles with more blood (still not gushing out, but the blood covered his whole knuckle), but after his turn was over, it got bandaged

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi You cannot get HIV from sharing utensils, drinking after someone etc. You cannot get HIV as well at a hair salon, manicurist etc. For HIV to transmit in this situation there would need to be direct and prolonged exposure to body fluids, semen, vaginal fluid, blood or mother to child through breast feeding. This most commonly occurs through unprotected vaginal or anal sex and sharing of needles. Casual contact, sharing utensils, drinking after someone, etc are not way for HIV transmission to occur. If you go to this link HIV101 it will take you to our page that talks about the ways in which HIV is and is not transmitted. Also important to know is that once HIV leaves the body it begins to die and becomes unable to infect.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Previous
virus can spread if the saloon person had cut her finger
Next
Razor cut

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.