The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary


Jun 23, 2014

Is it posible to get hiv as a result of petting? I know that probably the answer is "no" but... I had some sort of "simulated sex" with a this woman (she was wearing just a gstring, i had my pants on all the time)I thought this was a low risk activity but now (15 days after exposure) I have the "typycal symptoms" of seroconversion (strong headeache, general weakness, troubled stomach and some difficult to swallow (it does not hurt but i got the feeling that the food i eat gets stucked in the middle of my laringe). The timing of these symptoms really worries me. Should i get tested? Should i stop having (real) sex with my regular partner? i apologize for my lousy english. Thanks in advance. for your help.

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi HIV transmission can only occur when there is a direct and prolonged exposure to body fluids, semen, vaginal fluid, blood or mother to child through breast feeding. This most commonly occurs through unprotected vaginal or anal sex and sharing of needles. Casual contact, sharing utensils, drinking after someone, etc are not way for HIV transmission to occur. If you go to this link HIV101 it will take you to our page that talks about the ways in which HIV is and is not transmitted. Also, HIV can not be transmitted through clothing.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

HIV from electronic cigarettes PLEASE HELP
Am I at risk I'm just 19

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint