HIV through karaoke

Hi Shannon,

Good day. Just a recap on the scenario: - was in a karaoke room, with some friends. - Finger food was in abundance. - As we share the microphone, traces of saliva will be at the place we hold the microphone. - Place was dark, so if there are any small blood traces from finger cuts, we will not know.

So the question is, I did not wash my hands after sharing the microphones and eating the food using my hands (within seconds). I do have bleeding gums at times. Any danger of STD and HIV (as some friends do have a very sexual active life)? Test warranted?

Thank you. Best regards, Worried Guy

Hi No need to worry. HIV is not transmitted through saliva. HIV transmission can only occur when there is a direct and prolonged exposure to body fluids, semen, vaginal fluid, blood or mother to child through breast feeding. This most commonly occurs through unprotected vaginal or anal sex and sharing of needles. Casual contact, sharing utensils, drinking after someone, etc are not way for HIV transmission to occur. If you go to this link HIV101 it will take you to our page that talks about the ways in which HIV is and is not transmitted.

Karaoke away!!!!

doubt about transmission of hiv
is this a risk for transmission?