Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Worried Student
Jun 6, 2014

Hi, about 2 years ago as a Medical student in south America I was helping assist a woman in labor, amniotic liquid splashed in my shirt and bare arms and head, I think I had intact skin by that time and as soon I got home I bathed myself and disposed my cloth, I did not know the hiv status of these patient and currently I have to get a HIV test for my residency program in Europe and I am scared as hell. I dont know what risk I exposed myself and fear the worst.

Before that accident happened as a Med Student during a laboratoy of Fysiology class, One of my class mates had to draw blood from by arm for an experiment and a she was preforming this on me, another class mate told her she was bleeding from one of her fingers, she told one of the other classmates to continue the procedure with me while she washed her cut finger. This procedure was done with a new needle but I never knew for shure if she had cut herself with the needle she extracted blood from my vein or she cut with another object, this has been a real trauma for me because my greatest fear of all is HIV, the next day I talked with her she told me her mother had found a thread needle on one of her pants so I suposed nothing really hapenned and sometime I wonder if she was telling me the truth, I am paranoid that before extracting bllod from my vein she accidently cut herself and maybe I was exposed to her blood when she extracted it frome me, thank you for listening me I would be glad If you could tell me about the risk in both situations.

Response from Dr. Wohl

These do not sound like exposures of any consequence. I suspect your HIV test will be negative.

DW

Previous
i dont understand the answer!!
Next
negative at 176 days

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.