Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

hiv from razor possible?
May 30, 2014

hi doctor i work in corrections and three days out the week, we hand out razors to inmates, some of the inmates take the razors off the stick to trim their facial hair. After collecting these razors in clear trash bag, one of the expose razor fell to the bottom of the bag which fell to the bottom of the bag and cut the lower from part of my middle finger. it wasn't very deep but it drew enough blood. i looked at the bag and saw the tip of razor sticking out the bag, it had brown spots on it but don't if its dry blood or dirt. i went to my comp doctor 9 hours later and was put on truvada/isentress for 28 days. i felt fine while on the pep, i took the meds everyday but not the same time everyday(will this be an issue?} i finished my pep and im scheduled for hiv/hep in two weeks/then 3months/6months.

i have few questions, 1. what are my chances of contraction hiv from this incident? 2. not taking my med at same time everyday play a big factor in contracting if there was a virus on blade? 3. 48 hours after finishing pep i started feeling very fatigue and at times,no appetite, muscle aches in my quads, what could this mean doc?

Thanks for your time,

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi HIV transmission in this manner is extremely low risk. For many reasons. HIV transmission can only occur when there is a direct and prolonged exposure to body fluids, semen, vaginal fluid, blood or mother to child through breast feeding. This most commonly occurs through unprotected vaginal or anal sex and sharing of needles. Casual contact, sharing utensils, drinking after someone, etc are not way for HIV transmission to occur. If you go to this link HIV101 it will take you to our page that talks about the ways in which HIV is and is not transmitted. Also HIV begins to die once it leaves the body and becomes unable to infect. The risk here would be more so for Hepatitis than HIV.

What I would suggest is that your symptoms are from the PEP and would imagine that as your body cleanses itself of the medications you will begin to feel better.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Previous
written 3 times please help me
Next
1 time encounter

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.