Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Accidental shared razor
May 30, 2014

I was on vacation and shared the hotel room with one of my old friend who is "bi-sexual". I went by the pool in the afternoon and my friend actually shaved his chest hair with my brand new razor around 2 pm in the afternoon. I returned back to the room around 8 pm and noticed two stings of hair in the razor. So I asked him whether he used it or not? He said yes he did and he also cut himself while he used it earlier in the afternoon. I couldn't see any blood in the razor but I did see two stings of his chest hair.

I washed the razor inside out with hot water and then proceed to shave my face. I might have cut myself but I don't remember it.

I do understand that HIV virus gets killed outside of human body and odds are in my favor since the razor was sitting still in the bathroom from 2 pm till 8 pm (the course of 6 hours).

This happened exactly two years ago in 2012. And, now it is freaking me out for whatever reason.

What concerns me is that I saw two pieces of hair in the razor and that guy did indeed bled while cutting his chest hair and after 6 hours I might have cut myself using the same razor.

The razor was sitting ouside the bathroom sink in on the surface level. The razor might be dried or it might be sitting next to few drops of water. I don't exactly remember. I didn't think about it back then thinking I wasn't at risk.

I'm virgin guy. Never had no sex with no one and not even kissed anyone. It will be extremely unfair if I get infected this way.

I just called old friend last week asking for his status, he said he is healthy and he drives a truck. He also said that the truck company makes him take DOT physical test and if he had any diseases it would show up in that report. But, I don't fully trust him as he lies a lot.

Doctor what are your thoughts? Please help me calm my fears.

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi No need to worry about HIV transmission in this situation. HIV transmission can only occur when there is a direct and prolonged exposure to body fluids, semen, vaginal fluid, blood or mother to child through breast feeding. This most commonly occurs through unprotected vaginal or anal sex and sharing of needles. Casual contact, sharing utensils, drinking after someone, etc are not way for HIV transmission to occur. If you go to this link HIV101 it will take you to our page that talks about the ways in which HIV is and is not transmitted.

HIV begins to die once it leaves the body and becomes unable to transmit.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Previous
Housewife with HIV who cooks
Next
written 3 times please help me

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.