Housewife with HIV who cooks

One of my family relatives members I know is a housewife, a single mother, who cooks good everyday everytime for her two children. I am everytime afraid for those two children. The food that she cooks for them and her mother, will it transmit HIV ? By which ways? What's the solution to this? Should she stop cooking? Thankyou so much.

Hi There is no need to worry. HIV transmission can only occur when there is a direct and prolonged exposure to body fluids, semen, vaginal fluid, blood or mother to child through breast feeding. This most commonly occurs through unprotected vaginal or anal sex and sharing of needles. Casual contact, sharing utensils, drinking after someone, etc are not way for HIV transmission to occur. If you go to this link HIV101 it will take you to our page that talks about the ways in which HIV is and is not transmitted.

In short, HIV is not transmitted through preparing food. Have her continue cooking away.

redlight and fear of HIV
Accidental shared razor