I'm HIV negative, first sexual partner (unprotected) tested negative today in HIV walk in clinic. Do i still undertake treatment?

Im HIV negative and foolishly had unprotected sex with someone who hadnt been checked in almost a year. Today he tested negative in a HIV walk in clinic. Beforehand, I was given the post exposure prophylaxis starter kit from a local std clinic due to my worrying of his unknown status. The test he took appears to confirm he was at negative status when we had sex as it was the night before. Do i still need to start this treatment in the starter pack? We both seem to be clean and healthy. Please help asap. Thanks

The issue is that HIV tests do not pick up very recent infection. So, if your partner was theoretically infected a week before having sex with you it is possible he would be highly infectious yet antibody negative.

The chances of this are low but depend of course on his recent sexual history.

If this is a possibility you could start the PEP and have your pal retested in a week with a combo p24/Ab test or an HIV RNA PCR. If those are negative he does not have acute HIV and you can stop PEP.

Ways HIV transfer
need explanation