Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I'm HIV negative, first sexual partner (unprotected) tested negative today in HIV walk in clinic. Do i still undertake treatment?
May 26, 2014

Im HIV negative and foolishly had unprotected sex with someone who hadnt been checked in almost a year. Today he tested negative in a HIV walk in clinic. Beforehand, I was given the post exposure prophylaxis starter kit from a local std clinic due to my worrying of his unknown status. The test he took appears to confirm he was at negative status when we had sex as it was the night before. Do i still need to start this treatment in the starter pack? We both seem to be clean and healthy. Please help asap. Thanks

Response from Dr. Wohl

The issue is that HIV tests do not pick up very recent infection. So, if your partner was theoretically infected a week before having sex with you it is possible he would be highly infectious yet antibody negative.

The chances of this are low but depend of course on his recent sexual history.

If this is a possibility you could start the PEP and have your pal retested in a week with a combo p24/Ab test or an HIV RNA PCR. If those are negative he does not have acute HIV and you can stop PEP.

DW

Previous
Ways HIV transfer
Next
need explanation

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.