Risk of HIV from protected oral and vaginal sex with extreme stress!

Hi Doctor Erik,

I had a low risk exposure with a prostitute in early january in Thailand. I had protected oral and protected vaginal sex. I was the insertive person. Following that during the first week of march i had severe diahorrea, mild fever(37.6 deg c) and sore throat. I went to see the clinic on the second day of diahorrea and he did a stool test and sent me back with some antibiotics. The stool test came back with a bacterial origin(campylobactor). Since i was freaking out, i went to the hospital the following day and told them that the diahorrea still has not stopped. They kept me on drips and did a normal blood test on me. A few hours later the doctor concluded that my vitals were good and asked me to finish the course of antibiotics provided by the clinic on the first day. During this timeframe my fever had already subsided, and my diahorrea went away completely within 6 days. I would like to include that during these 6 days i was constantly thinking about hiv transmission and worried almost every hour i was awake. Felt nauseous and had very low appetite for anything.

I was completely fine following that incident till 2 weeks ago where i have a pain on my throat only on the left side. It does not feel like a sore throat and i only have the pain like twice or thrice a day and it does not cause any pain while eating. It feels like when the pain occurs it is connected to the middle ear, but the pain lasts for less then 3 seconds when in arises. More like pain when swallowing with a dry throat but only on one side. It is still present now after 3 weeks, but it occurs max 4 times a day.

I have also been researching on possibilities of candida. and now i feel whenever i wake up my tongue has a slight thick white coating which goes away completely after brushing my tongue. I also started to have bloating immediately after eating a meal, and my stomach makes weird noises when im sleeping. However there is no pain. Sometimes i feel i have all the factors that i research on the net. I feel they are more related to my mental psychopathy more then actually being there. Like in the first few weeks i keep looking for swollen lymph nodes and am convinced they are there, but when i research for a new symptom the old one goes away and the new one i have researched becomes apparent in me. I have read that anxiety and stress also leads to bloating. But am unsure. My stools look normal and i am having atleast one bowel movement per day. i have not come across any swollen inguinal or axillary lymph nodes, however have a small lump in my upper thigh under the skin about 10 cm away from my groin which im unsure if it is a lymph node.

Everything else seems fine with me except for the white coating which appears in the morning, bloating and pain on occasions on one side of the throat. I also have been skipping meals due to my tight work schedule and have only one meal a day which could be causing this bloating however am unsure since it only occurs after eating. Also it is winter now, which might cause a white tongue due to dryness, which im again unsure off. There is no bleeding or pain while eating or when brushing off the coating.

Doctor i really need your help, i have been researching for atleast an hour everyday for symptoms and go to bed with a worry every day. I wake up and immediately rush to the mirror to look for new symptoms. I am also very afraid to go for a test. I really do not know if these symptoms are really there or my mind is making them to be there. Please help me doctor. I really cannot talk about this to anybody else. Thank you in advance.

Response from Mr. Glenn

There is no risk of HIV from protected oral and vaginal sex.

It sounds like the real reason why you're feeling unwell is out of control stress.

This is where you need treatment. Whether of not you have insurance, there should be locations around (community centers perhaps?) where you can find quality mental health services to help you manage your stress and irrational thoughts around HIV.

Hope this helps,

Erik

HIV after touching toilet then rubbing my eyes
Risk for HIV from possible blood mixed with alchool