Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Risk Assessment, and different responses from smart people i know.
May 14, 2014

Hello, I am a 28 year old male. In january I had 2 encounters with women of unknown status. The first was very early January, and second mid January. I was smart enough to put on a condom (latex trojan). Used it from start to finish, and did not engage in any other activity. However, a month after some doubts were raised. I saw a show where an expert claimed condoms are nowhere near the stated 95 to 99.99 HIV, and Hep C risk prevention stated on the CDC and Health Sites. Thus I rushed to my primary care and he tested me and i was negative. Horrible days waiting for results. However, recently some other people, whose opinions I vale have made me doubt and worry. 1st-A friend who is a quite smart and medical researcher mentioned STD pathogens as HIV are 100 times smaller than sperm and get through pores in latex or polyurethane. Is this correct? 2nd- I read that the spermicide N-9 (condoms I used had this spermicide) kills the HIV pathogen and sperm, but read too that this is not true. Moreover, in women actually causes irritation which allows for transmission to be more accesible. 3rd- I read that if you shower you can reactivate the virus, or if you put soap near your peephole it can irritate the urethra and allow for left over vaginal juices to come in and infect. 4th and lastly- I read a condom must be put on the right way. Otherwise the condom is useless, because the condom can slip or break inside the vagina. However, throughout the sexual acts, i never saw or felt the condom slip, and I removed myself upon ejaculation and no leakages were seen by my eyes. Please, if you could answer these questions, as I have heart palpitations and this worry is not helping me at all. Thank You

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there,

The only type of condom that does not protect against HIV is lambskin. All others will protect against HIV and other fluid-based STD's. Spermicide can cause irritation, but would increase the risk to the receptive partner, not you. You cannot reactivate the virus with water, and if a condom is not used correctly that can increase the likelihood of it breaking or falling off. If it did not, then you were OK in this situation.

In health,

Richard

Previous
Is what I'm feeling signs of early HIV symptoms???
Next
test at 84 day

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.