Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Is what I'm feeling signs of early HIV symptoms???
May 14, 2014

Hello,

I'm feeling very stressed out and was hoping that you could give me a few answers/opinions. I haven't seen a response where you have answered this. But, I'm sure that you may have before.

A month ago this week, I had sex with a stripper. I used a condom (Lifestyles SKYN synthetic polyisoprene). Well I believe I developed a yeast infection a few days later. This has happened to me before with condoms. Warmth, tight feeling in the upper groin area.

a day or so later, I also began to have muscle twitching and near spasms in my right tricep. the muscle twitching and spasms then spread throughout my body. (shoulders, up and down arms, back, butt, hips, up and down legs) My muscles became so tense the twitching felt like someone was punching me or prodding me with stick or something. My joints also seemed to hurt. (week 1 to 2)

I went to my pcp the next week (week three). I told him about the yeast infection feeling and the muscle twitching, spasming, pain. He drew some blood for tests and gave me diflucan/fluconazole for the yeast infection) the warmness and irritation have gone away. A couple of days later, I stated to feel a cold yet burning sensation in the skin of my right shoulder. It became VERY intense and spread across the top of my back to the other shoulder and down both the triceps. I also have still been dealing with the muscle twitching, near spasming and muscle tension. And still feel tightness in my upper groin area.

Now I am going in the week 4 since my sexual encounter and I am still feeling tightness in the upper groin area (both sides) and especially while I am sitting or laying down. I'm still having the muscle twitching, spasming, tension. And the cold burning sensation in my shoulders and top of back is still coming and going. I've also had a couple of night sweats here and there the last 2 weeks.Before I forget, I've also noticed blood in my stool and when I wipe(Off and on the last two weeks). I've had hemorrhoids badly before. So, I'm hoping that that's all that is.

Ok, with that out of the way, these are my questions for you.

1) Are these signs of early HIV infection (possibly peripheral nueropathy). Or is my head (stress/anxiety) causing this. I definitely feel everything and the tightness in my groin is still here a month later.

2) Is a HIV-RNA test accurate after a month? I've read that they are. That they can detect the presence of HIV after 9-12 days. Is this true? And, is it accurate to the point I can kinda put my mind at ease?

P.S. No sore throat, a little congestion in the nose and ear. But, not really sick.

Just give me your opinion doc. Am I doing more harm to myself mentally? Or does it sound like I may have become infected with HIV?

Thanks

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there,

1: These are not signs of an HIV infection. This could be stress/anxiety, or something else. It is not HIV.

2: At one month they are accurate and reliable, but not conclusive. Follow up with an antibody test at 90 days for a conclusive result.

In health,

Richard

Previous
Can hiv be infected with the sperm of the hiv infected person from hand to hand???
Next
Risk Assessment, and different responses from smart people i know.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.