Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV Risk and unsure symptoms after 5 days
May 12, 2014

Hi I was in a situation this past weekend where I consumed copious amounts of alcohol which unfortunately made me forget much of the night. I was in a strip club and can't remember if I had sex or not.

My friends said I was gone for approximately 30 minutes in the back. I can remember some things happening, including but not limited to grinding on top of me. I was in a place where money for sex is acceptable. Today is now Friday and I developed flu like symptoms starting Wednesday night, 5 days after possible contact. A fever hovering around 100 degrees. Exhaustion, slept for about 17 hours the first day. Also, I feel as if I need to keep stretching and tightening my muscles. I also barely have an appetite which is very uncharacteristic for me. Also, some diahrea is present. I am half circumcised meaning my head is not completely covered, but foreskin does rise up about halfway up my head.

I have an RNA/PCR test scheduled for Monday which would be 9 days after the event. Not sure if this is a factor but I have Pearly Penile Papules. Also, the week prior to the event I was sick and on antibiotics. I had an exceptionally sore throat that went away prior to the weekend. I can't remember the medication name.

Assuming I did have unprotected sex, (I was not carrying a condom and would have recognized the condom scent the following day) what are my chances of having contracted HIV? Are flu like symptoms after 5 days too soon? I have many sleepless night and many times of self diagnosis, constantly googling anything I could find. PLEASE HELP ME!

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

This is a difficult case, since we don't know if you had sex or if it was protected if you did. Because of that, waiting to get tested is the only surefire way to determine your status.

It sounds like you're doing what you can to get answers about your health. That's great! Unfortunately, a lot of this is about being patient. RNA/PCR is helpful, but the gold standard to determine HIV status is an antibody test.

It sounds like you're VERY stressed out about this. Would it surprise you to learn that many, if not all, of the things you're feeling physically can be explained away by your high level of constant stress?

Hope this helps,

Erik

P.S. Pearly Penile Papules are a normal occurrence in penis skin. Nothing wrong with them!

Previous
hiv symptoms/oral sex
Next
Risk for STDs from sweat, vaginal fluid, or biting

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.