Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Three years after the possible exposure
May 12, 2014

Here is my question and thank you so much in advance.

(1) I had a possible exposure three years ago(unprotected sex, not sure of the hiv status of the female). (2) Three months after , I had a blood test and it was negative. (3) I have not had any sexual activity with anyone for the last three years since that possible exposure.

Since I am going to be married soon , I wanted to put any worries beyond doubt, so I tested using Home Access Express HIV-1 Test System two weeks ago( I collected the dried blood sample and sent it to the designated lab). The result came back negative. In order to eliminate the doubt about possible error(human error or instrumental), I tested using the same Testing kit 4 days ago and it came back negative.

First question:

Even though it might sound silly, Could anyone with expertise tell me if I could definitely say that I am 100% free of infection?

Second question:

(2)The person I talked to when get my recent test result said no test is 100% accurate. I wonder if , after three years(without any other sexual activity in between), those test results are not absolutely conclusive in my case?

Also, FDA says that Home Access Express HIV-1 Test System is 99.9% accurate, but how Home Access Express HIV-1 Test System is different from the Anti Body tests performed in clinics or in hospitals?

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there,

You are 100% conclusively negative. All of your tests were done outside of the 90 day window and there were no additional exposures.

In health,

Richard

Previous
hiv risk blood stain?
Next
Took a lamivudine

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.