HIV from one time exposure, no ejaculation

Hi. After being with the same partner for 5 years and ending it, 3 weeks ago I had unprotected sex with a man I KNOW to be extremely promiscuous. This is the first time in my life I've not used a condom with a new partner, and I am really regretting my decision...now I am having really bad anxiety over possible HIV contraction.

We had unprotected sex once, and he did not ejaculate inside me. I do not know his HIV status (he says he gets tested 3 times a year...but did not mention whether this includes an HIV test, but of course he told me he's negative) but his extreme promiscuity has me worried, especially maybe even the possibility that he has it and doesn't know.

I am going to get tested at 12 weeks, but my anxiety is through the roof. I have read that risk of one time exposure is rare, even if the parter is positive...but wondering the actual stats there? I know any activity is risky, but how truly likely is it that a one time exposure (assuming he has HIV) without ejaculation can pass it on to a female partner? Statistically?

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there,

Since it was a one-time occurrence, the risk was low. To put a number on it... the risk for receptive vaginal sex is .08%, which is equivalent to 1 transmission per 1,250 exposures.

I'm confident your 90 day test will be negative.

In health,

Richard

Oral Sex
condom use