The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

never got a answer for my question

May 5, 2014

Hi Expert

I work IT and last week I was in kings cross Sydney in a doctor surgery but not a normal general practitioner it was hiv specialist where they prescribe certain medications and look after people with hiv my job was to update computers to new windows version, change old stickers on computers etc. on one of the computers there was a brownish stain on the sticker which I accidently touched and then removed the sticker and put it in the bin and then put a new sticker on the computer nothing was on my hand I had only minor sores from a few days earlier on my hand if it was blood and it was hiv positive blood could I get hiv from touching it considering it was in a hiv specialist office and the temperature had to be a certain temperature because they kept hiv medication in that room I think it was 23 degrres Celsius thank you for your time

Response from Ms. Southall

HI No need to worry! HIV transmission can only occur when there is a direct and prolonged exposure to body fluids, semen, vaginal fluid, blood or mother to child through breast feeding. This most commonly occurs through unprotected vaginal or anal sex and sharing of needles. Casual contact, sharing utensils, drinking after someone, etc are not way for HIV transmission to occur. If you go to this link HIV101 it will take you to our page that talks about the ways in which HIV is and is not transmitted.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Sinus infection and red bloodshot eyes
i'm worried

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint