licked blood

Hello, last night I went out on a date with another guy and when we got back to his house me kissed and while I was licking his neck I thought I tasted blood, I didnt see any opens cuts or wounds but I dont know why I tasted blood and now Im afraid that I caught HIV from this incident. We never had sex. Was I at risk and should I go to the emergency room and get put on PEP?

HI Deep or open-mouthed kissing is a very low risk activity in terms of HIV transmission. HIV is only present in saliva in very minute amounts, insufficient to cause infection with HIV. This is not a way for HIV transmission to occur. HIV transmission can only occur when there is a direct and prolonged exposure to body fluids, semen, vaginal fluid, blood or mother to child through breast feeding. This most commonly occurs through unprotected vaginal or anal sex and sharing of needles. Casual contact, sharing utensils, drinking after someone, etc are not way for HIV transmission to occur. If you go to this link HIV101 it will take you to our page that talks about the ways in which HIV is and is not transmitted.

HIV from touching
hiv rash