Paranoid! Help!

I'm a Hairdresser. I suffer from dermatitis (knuckles crack and bleed sometimes) someone told me you can catch HIV through shampooing a person that is bleeding on their scalp. So really i'm worried that i could get HIV by getting their blood in my cracks that are bleeding.

Hi I'm glad you found us and are asking the question. The answer is NO! You cannot get HIV this way. HIV transmission can only occur when there is a direct and prolonged exposure to body fluids, semen, vaginal fluid, blood or mother to child through breast feeding. This most commonly occurs through unprotected vaginal or anal sex and sharing of needles. Casual contact, sharing utensils, drinking after someone, etc are not way for HIV transmission to occur. If you go to this link HIV101 it will take you to our page that talks about the ways in which HIV is and is not transmitted.

There was no direct and prolonged contact, the water and shampoo diluted anything if it were there and once HIV leaves the body it begins to die and becomes unable to infect.

You are HIV free from this experience.

does leaking vagina infected hiv
blood exposure (shannon ,what do you think?)