The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Sperm washing in regular fertility centers

Apr 29, 2014

Hi , I'm hiv- and my husband is hiv+ .He has no symptoms and he is not taking any medications ( although he is hiv+ for 16 years) . We are planning to conceive a child through iui. In our country there is no fertility center that provides special sperm washing for patients with hiv. How safe it will be if we do iui in a regular fertility center (without telling them that my husband is hiv+) ? And in this case, should I take PrEP? Thank you

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi A couple things here to talk about.

The risk of HIV transmission when someone has an undetectable viral load is incredibly low plus being on medication prolongs life. Your partner should get on medication and get that viral load to undetectable. This protects both you and the baby.

It is very important to share your medical history with medical providers so that are sure to know exactly what's going on and how best to take care of you.

It is important for you to take care of yourself and ensure that you are HIV free and your child is.

My recommendation would be talking to an HIV specialist and special OBGYN that can ensure that both you and your baby are healthy.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

If I drink a glass of water that had blood in it, will i get infected with HIV virus?
regarding piercings

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint