The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Worried mom of son

Apr 14, 2014

My question is a man at my sons school walked past him and he had a neck brace on and it was covered in blood. I'm not sure if it was dripping. My son is shorter so if it was dripping it could land in his eye he walked right next to him. I did not think much of this scenario until after the school day. So I did not get a good look at his face to see if the blood was on his face or skin. I think my son may have been wearing a hood. What do you think the risk for hiv is if it got in his eye or skin for prolonged time? Also would you suggest testing or medication. Thanks really worried.

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi HIV transmission can only occur when there is a direct and prolonged exposure to body fluids, semen, vaginal fluid, blood or mother to child through breast feeding. This most commonly occurs through unprotected vaginal or anal sex and sharing of needles. Casual contact, sharing utensils, drinking after someone, etc are not way for HIV transmission to occur. If you go to this link HIV101 it will take you to our page that talks about the ways in which HIV is and is not transmitted. Once HIV leaves the body it becomes unable to infect. Your son is not a risk for getting HIV from this type of transmission.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

can i get hiv from this

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint